Welcome returning Snowcamping Alumni!
Alumni trips offer a way for those who have successfully completed the training series to continue snowcamping with fellow snowcampers. We offer a broad spectrum of winter outings to those who have successfully completed our Training Series or an accepted alternative (see Prerequisites). Our outings have covered destinations from Yosemite’s Crocker Point and Glacier Point in the Sierra range all the way north to Cascades range destinations on the flanks of Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta. In addition to a range of destinations, we offer outings with a wide range of required endurance and skill. Some trips also offer training in winter-specific subjects, including back-country skiing and orientation as well as winter photography and igloo construction. Our outings groups are smaller in size, usually maxing out with 10 to 12 participants (and often less). By offering trips with various degrees of difficulty and different themes, both to new locations as well as old favorites, we offer something for everyone!
How and when to sign up
New alumni trips are posted both on the Snowcamping website on the Alumni page and on the Sierra Club Activities and Events calendar periodically throughout the snowcamping season, and are also announced via the Snowcamping Alumni News email list (Alumni can subscribe to this moderated email list via the “Contact Us” page). Detailed descriptions of our current alumni trip offerings are located on this site on the alumni trip descriptions page. Alumni can sign up for trips by following the links there to each specific trip’s sign-up page on the Sierra Club Activities and Events calendar. Please note that registering for a trip does not guarantee your space on that trip. The trip leader must first approve your application. A follow-up email and/or telephone call by the trip leader will confirm your approval and ensure your spot on the trip.
Alumni trips require participants to have successfully completed our Training Series (e.g., the classroom session and both outings). Alumni of other snow camping training programs will be considered on an individual basis, but you must contact an alumni trip coordinator for consideration prior to applying for an outing. Participants should be comfortable and generally self-reliant with the challenges of winter backcountry travel and camping. Those who are not yet comfortable with winter camping basics are encouraged to rejoin the Training Series as an alumni student. Other prerequisites may exist for any given trip, and will be disclosed in each trip description.
Costs and refund policy
Basic fees for each alumni trip are $35/trip (both for Sierra Club members and non-members). Some trips may have additional costs, such as cabin or equipment rental fees, which will be noted in the trip description and application. The cost for returning alumni students to go on Training Series Trips is $70 ($35 per trip), which covers both trips. The refund policy for alumni trips is as follows:
- Leader cancels for whatever reason = full refund, at end of season
- Student pays to be wait-listed for a trip, but no space opens up = full refund, at end of season
- Student cancels for any reason = no refund
Important Notes (please Read)
- Alumni trip participants are not required to attend Orientation Day unless specifically required by their trip leader.
- Alumni trip leaders will often be available at Orientation Day should you wish to meet them and/or discuss specific trip information. You should verify that your trip leader will be in attendance. Contact information for alumni trip leaders is also available on the trip listing in the Sierra Club Activities and Events calendar.
- Unless an alumni trip is noted as a ‘ski’ trip in the trip description, snowshoes are considered to be the standard mode of transportation. Those wishing to use an alternate mode of transportation to the trip standard are required to obtain approval from the trip leader prior to the outing.
- Some alumni trips may have additional costs beyond the basic fee. These costs and the details of paying such costs are noted in the associated trip descriptions.
- The number of participants for each trip is limited, so please register early for best selection. Once a trip fills, additional applicants will automatically be added to a waiting list that operates on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Trips may be canceled or rescheduled due to weather conditions.